I used to suspend Linux VM while putting ESXi in maintenance mode , so after booting it up I tried to reallocate the virtual machine to same host (or anywhere) but I had the below error:
/vmfs/volumes/53a1 dc3a-0217fcc6-cafl -0000c9851676/SPS-WebApp/SP-FEO2-000002.vmdk was not found time: 2/18/2015 7:47:53 AM
vCenter Server: VM-MNGT.com
If I migrate its datastore:
If I power it up where it is:
I noted one of its disks resides under SP-WFE02 VM:
The Vmware support tried first to power it off through ssh the current host:
1. Tried to get the VM id to execute the following commands:
vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms | grep -i prx04
2. ~ # vim-cmd vmsvc/power.getstate 127
Retrieved runtime info
Suspended <— note
3. Executing vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off 127 Fialed
4. Then cat avamarprx04.vmx | grep -i vmss <– this was to check the suspended state VM file
5. He renamed the file to another name:
mv avamarprx04-0ec59c9d.vmss avamarprx04-0ec59c9d.vmss-old
6. Tried to restart the VM : vim-cmd vmsvc/reload 127 <– didn’t work.
7. Tried to poweroff: vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off 127 <– didn’t work.
8. Finally power it on 😀 vim-cmd vmsvc/power.on 127
The attached disk removed itself when it is started , we tried to reboot the VM everything was just fine.
This is to share it with you 😉