· NDMP Tape server is not supported on Data Domain with DD Extended retention.
· Mtree replication and Bi-directional replication is supported between DD systems with Extended retention software in the Active tire using CIFS,NFS or VTL.
· Mtree Replication is supported for Data which are not moving to retention tier.
· Files Replications managed by DDBoost could be moved to retention tier on SAME system.
· Periodic process policy moves data from the active tier to the retention tier till the last one is full then sealed, if there is a Failure it will effect the storage unit only where it was detected.
· The movement policy based on 1- frequency of the movement 1- last-modified time for files on the system.
· We can expect delay or performance is degraded when is reading from retention tier unit reached to its maximum capacity.
· Not all retention units are present in Data Domain Controller memory , they are prioritized based on least accessed ones that will encounter such delay , compared to Tape library , it is nothing.
· Data Domain system is protected by hardware RAID6 plus "DIA"
· If a catastrophic failure took place , we can connect a new Data Domain system and connect it to another replica , by this we can could be migrated to the new system.
· Extended Retention requires 3 licenses:
a. DD Extended Retention
(To enable software feature and functionality).
b. Shelf Capacity License
(Enable adding storage capacity).
(Not supported with system running DD OS 5.0).
(One License Key per each shelf "ES20 + ES30").
(ES20s obtained prior to DD OS 5.1 require no Key).
(Shelf Capacity license is different between archive tier and Extended retention tiers with DD Extended retention).
c. Expanded Storage License
(To enable the Data Domain Storage capacity upgrade and expand the active tier storage above entry)
· Optional licensing:
a. DD Retention Lock Compliance Software Edition.
(Enable users to apply restrict retention requirements on archive data per data regulation standards)
(Available on all Data Domain platforms except GDA).
(Co-exist with backup data and applies different retention periods for different types (files,Mail,,, etc ,,,).
b. DD Retention Lock Governance Software Edition.
(Keep data in archive in non-rewritable /erasable format).
(Dual sign-on mechanism).
(Compliance Could be applied on Mtree level" Collection replication only and both systems need to have DD retention enabled").
(there is a Secure Clock to prevent any data locked to be altered or destroyed).
(There is an Audit logging and Compliance capabilities to enable on MTree).
(Keep a second copy of locked data on destination Data Domain system).
(The previous name prior to DD OS 5.2 was "Retention Lock")
· The Basic workflow of all Data Domain systems applies as well here,, so to Install / configure Data Domain with Extended retention:
a. Hardware Installation.
b. Check The Data Domain system information for the site.
c. Perform initial system configuration.
d. Configure Data access for the System.
e. Configure optional software.
f. Perform optional software.
g. Perform optional additional system configuration.
· For DD 990, the SAS HBA port are located on slots: 4,5 8, & 9.
==> Initial Configuration of Active tier & Archive Tier (retention):
1. Adding license:
license add archive-license-key
2. Adding Storage:
license add capacity-active-license-key
once per each enclosure in active tier:
storage add tier active enclosure enclosure-ID
3. Initial Configuration of active tier:
4. Initial configuration of Archive "retention" tier:
storage add tier archive enclosure enclosureID
filesys archive unit add
filesys archive unit list all
Data Movement Policy:
Managed on Mtree basis and files that meet the policy threshold are moved to retention tier, different datasets could be placed in different Mtree to be configured for data movement.
2 User-defined settings controls Data Movement:
1. Last time file was modified.
2. Periodic schedule for data Moving.
Cleaning & Snapshots:
· As scheduled
· After files are moved from active to archive.
Data Movement Packing:
Starting DD OS 5.2 it is enable by default , it improves the overall compression of archive tier, but little increase in migration time , to check if it is enabled or not:
#archive show config
Reclaiming Retention tier space :
· Expiring Data and use the space for new ones.
· Background process called "pass" , once started will run forever but could be paused , suspended or re-started.
( Runs Clean , Runs Data movement , Seals Unit).
That applies in stored retention tier data.
· DD Extended retention software could be enabled on already deployed Systems.
· Please consider the below requirements for DD Extended retention software:
o Controller must be supported.
o DD OS 5.2 and higher.
o Extra SAS cards on controller might be required for connectivity.
o Check memory requirement.
DD Extended retention consideration:
1. Data Domain system with DD Extended retention can not be a directory replication source.
2. Encryption at rest, NDMP tape server & Sanitization: are not supported.
3. Once enabled on Data Domain system , could be disabled after:
1- data migration off the system.
2- File System destruction.
To initiate upgrade , no more than 2 releases involved , use the command# system upgrade file
· Data Domain with DD extended retention could be a destination for MTree replication from any Data domain source. BUT, data movement must not be configured for those Mtrees.
· Bi-directional replication is supported Data Domain systems with DD extended retention .
Requirement for Directory Replication:
· Bi-directional replication is not supported.
· System with DD extended retention can not be source for directory replication.
· Replication for releases prior to OS 5.0 require intermediate Data Domain system.
· Directory replication Data could not be moved to the archive tier (Except in case of bulk ingest situation).
TO copy Data into DD extended retention in directory replication :
1. Setup directory replication into a directory within /backup.
2. On System with DD extended retention enabled do a FAST COPY from /backup in the targeted Mtree.
3. Manage each MTree with per-MTree data movement policy.
Requirement for Collection Replication:
· Data Domain source and destination must be configured with DD extended retention enabled.
· Do not enable file system on destination till archive units are added and configure replication.
· Same release or higher in destination DD OS.
· The destination units must be same capacity size or higher.
· Only un-directional replication is supported.
· Data migration policies are configured on source system.
1. Install the replication license on the new source.
# license add replication-license-key
2. Reset the authentication key on the destination.
# replication reauth col://hostB
3. Reconfigure replication on both the new source and destination.
# replication add source col://hostC destination col://hostB
4. Initiate recovery on the new source. The file system must not have been enabled on the new source before this step.
4# replication recover col://hostB
5. Check the replication status.
4# replication status
· DD Global de-duplication array systems are not supported for the directory replication.
· If active tier or a subset of archive units are lost and no replica available: Contact Data Domain Support. They might be able to rebuild old archives into a new system controller .
· The file system will not detect any lost archives till it is restarted or tries to access that unit.
· If data could not be recovered from a replica ,Contact Data Domain Support. ,they could clean the system up by deleting the lost archives
· In failure situation the recovery is being performed in below order:
– Restore connection between system controller and storage.
– if system controller is lost ,, replace with a new one.
– if a replica is available try to recover the lost data from it.
– if there is no replica ,, leverage the fault isolation feature in DD Extended retention through Data Domain support.